THIS BLOG CURRENTLY IS INACTIVE. THANK YOU FOR STOPPING BY . . . . THIS BLOG CURRENTLY IS INACTIVE. THANK YOU FOR STOPPING BY . . . . THIS BLOG CURRENTLY IS INACTIVE . . . . THANK YOU FOR STOPPING BY.

Monday, September 21, 2009

Typical Krishnamurti



When it comes to expressing truly profound ideas, I've frequently found the sage J. Krishnamurti (1895-1986) to be particularly perplexing because of the simplicity of his speech. I listen to him ~ or read his words ~ over and over again and still am not sure I'm fully comprehending the depth of his thought.

He once told an audience:
“I am not concerned whether you pay attention to what I say or not. I want to do a certain thing in the world and I am going to do it with unwavering concentration. I am concerning myself with only one essential thing: to set man free. I desire to free him from all cages, from all fears, and not to found religions, new sects, nor to establish new theories and new philosophies.”
This video from a 1960s talk show is a good example of Krishnamurti's style. In less than two minutes, he discusses our failure to understand death as responsible for the misery that damages the quality of our lives, has made them "a battle."

And he says it all with such a disarming smile.

4 comments:

Trée said...

"one must totally die to find what love is"

I have no idea what he means here, and I wish he were here for me to question because there is something in this statement. I do believe there is some thing in this idea. I just don't quite know. But it is a beautiful thought. And I wonder why.

Gregory LeFever said...

Ha! You see what I mean, Trée? I too know he's speaking of some deep truth here, but his language is elusive in its simplicity.

I suspect ~ as with much I've found in Krishnamurti ~ that his meaning will sneak up and clobber me sometime when I'm least expecting it.

George Breed said...

Gregory and Tree, your conversation and this posting prompted a post "dying to love" on my Embodying Spirit blog. I appreciate you gentlemen. Zing Tao, Tree!

Gregory LeFever said...

Glad to be of service, George. I visited your Embodying Spirit blog and found your post on this topic very fascinating, as always.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!