THIS BLOG CURRENTLY IS INACTIVE. THANK YOU FOR STOPPING BY . . . . THIS BLOG CURRENTLY IS INACTIVE. THANK YOU FOR STOPPING BY . . . . THIS BLOG CURRENTLY IS INACTIVE . . . . THANK YOU FOR STOPPING BY.

Monday, October 5, 2009

The Monster in the Sublime



The mythologist Joseph Campbell (1904-87) was a true sage. I’ve known of very few people who could collect such a vast array of knowledge from many cultures and still weave the diverse strands together into a meaningful, spiritual fabric.

Here he discusses the meaning of sublime, reminding us that, even in the sublime, there are monsters. And these monsters may in some way contribute to our bliss.

Listen and ponder.

{ I regret that the Joseph Campbell Foundation has ordered video clips from his "Power of Myth" series to be removed from YouTube. I'll keep this post here, however, because some of you made comments. I wish the Foundation had not deprived us of the man's wisdom in this way.}


4 comments:

human being said...

OMG! he is one of my favorite writers... his book "the hero with a thousand faces" was a turning point in my life when i read it in my late twenties... i was so excited then to find about things i believed and sought for a long time...
his wisdom is sublime...

all i know has come to me through the monsters within and without... when we know them, they are a big source of creative energy and awareness... they can make us god!
(surely you know about the original name of my blog...)
:)



can you do me a favor (again and again) and put the url to this video here in the comments? because of the filterings here in Iran, i just see a blank space here... nothing to click on!

i'm dying to hear him!

thanks for all the wisdom you bridge to us...

thanks for your poetic and encouraging comment on my new post... it really means a lot to me when friends share their reflections with me...

thanks for being there dear friend, Gregory...

best wishes to you and your loving family...

Gregory LeFever said...

Hello, HB: Wonderful to have you back. I hope you enjoy the Joseph Campbell video. There are several others of him available on YouTube as well.

Here is the url you requested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfOoe5CHjGM&feature=player_embedded

HB, if you want to email me directly and provide me with your email address, I can be sure to send you more such links. Email me at:

greg@gregorylefever.com

You're an amazing person, HB, and it would be no trouble for me at all.

Peace to you and your loved ones,

~Greg

human being said...

you are a gem... a rare one!

thanks a lot!

i could download it and watch it...several times!
:)
it really feels good to hear him... and not just read him...

the examples he provided to illustrate the concept were really interesting...

revdavemac said...

I was looking for this quote. Which episode (and approximate time, if you know it), please?