THIS BLOG CURRENTLY IS INACTIVE. THANK YOU FOR STOPPING BY . . . . THIS BLOG CURRENTLY IS INACTIVE. THANK YOU FOR STOPPING BY . . . . THIS BLOG CURRENTLY IS INACTIVE . . . . THANK YOU FOR STOPPING BY.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A Meditation for Flu Season

Painting "The Philosopher in Meditation" by Rembrandt, 1632.

I’m gaining a greater appreciation for German-born spiritual teacher Eckhart Tolle as I now re-read his landmark The Power of Now after putting it down several years ago. Today I read some easy instructions Tolle says can strengthen your immune system. So, in the spirit of the (flu) season, I pass them along:
There is a simple but powerful self-healing meditation that you can do whenever you feel the need to boost your immune system. It is particularly effective if used when you feel the first symptoms of an illness, but it also works with illnesses that are already entrenched if you use it a frequent intervals and with an intense focus. It will also counteract any disruption of your energy field by some form of negativity. However, it is not a substitute for the moment-to-moment practice of being in the body; otherwise, its effect will only be temporary. Here it is:

When you are unoccupied for a few minutes, and especially last thing at night before falling asleep and first thing in the morning before getting up, “flood” your body with consciousness. Close your eyes. Lie flat on your back. Choose different parts of your body to focus your attention on briefly at first: hands, feet, arms, legs, abdomen, chest, head, and so on. Feel the life energy inside those parts as intensely as you can. Stay with each part for fifteen seconds or so. Then let your attention run through the body like a wave a few times, from feet to head and back again. This need only take a minute or so.
After that, feel the inner body in its totality, as a single field of energy. Hold that feeling for a few minutes. Be intensely present during that time, present in every cell of your body. Don’t be concerned if the mind occasionally succeeds in drawing your attention out of the body and you lose yourself in some thought. As soon as you notice that this has happened, just return your attention to the inner body.
As for the “inner body” he refers to, I liked his explanation, which is something I believe we all experience at times:
Whereas the outer body normally appears to grow old and wither fairly quickly, the inner body does not change with time, except that you may feel it more deeply and become it more fully. If you are twenty years old now, the energy field of your inner body will feel just the same when you are eighty. It will be just as vibrantly alive.


7 comments:

Melody Scott Zindell said...

Thanks Greg!

Anonymous said...

That was/is great! Perfect timing flu or now no flu. You can't know what perfection this was to bring some conscious learning in at the right time and space.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, thanks a whole bunch, Greg!!! I can already feel my energy fields coursing through my inner body like a wave. You made my day!!!

Kass said...

Wow, that was amazing. Thank you so much!

Gregory LeFever said...

Glad all of you found it interesting. I thought Eckhart Tolle condensed some ancient techniques into a very simple ~ yet effective ~ method of energizing our inner selves ... warding off the flu, yes, but other negative influences as well.

Now if I can just remember to actually DO the meditation when I should.

Thanks for your visits and comments!

Melody Scott Zindell said...

I was rereading this (categorizing under my health tab) and just have to say that I love the Rembrandt painting...a meditation in itself.

Gregory LeFever said...

Melody, I must agree. I hadn't even seen the painting until I searched for an image to illustrate this post and was delighted to find the Rembrandt. I love the contrasting light and darkness and the mysterious spiral stairway.

Thanks for acknowledging it!